The following instructions are based on the MySQL 4.1.14 for Darwin 7.9.0.
1. After downloading the MySQL installation file, it will be automatically extracted and opened as a disk image on your desktop. The Finder will display the contents for you automatically.
2. Double-click on "mysql-standard-4.1.14-apple-darwin7.9.0-powerpc.pkg" and follow the instructions on the setup wizard. It will guide you through the process of installing the MySQL server.
3. Double-click on "MySQLStartupItem.pkg" and follow the instructions on the setup wizard. It will install the MySQL server as an auto-startup item.
4. Double-click on "MySQL.prefPane". It will install the MySQL control pane into your System Preferences program so that you can have the control for the MySQL server.
5. Open your System Preferences program and click on the MySQL icon. Click on the "Start MySQL server" button to start the server. You will be able to see the message showing "The MySQL server instance is running" in a couple of seconds, and then you can close the MySQL control pane. At the bottom of the control pane, you can also configure the server to run automatically on startup.
(You may need to provide the administrator password in step 2 - 4)
1. Open your Terminal program and type:
2. Log onto the MySQL server by typing:
./mysql -u root
3. Find out the name of your server host by typing:
SELECT Host, User FROM mysql.user;
Look for the record that has root in the User column and something other than the localhost in the Host column. This is the name of your server host and you will need it later.
4. Setup the MySQL administrator password by typing:
SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'localhost'=PASSWORD('your_password');
SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'host_name'=PASSWORD('your_password');
Replace your_password with the password you want to use. In the second SET PASSWORD statement, replace host_name with the name of the server host you get from step
5. Exit the MySQL shell by typing:
If you encounter problems, please use the Sourceforge discussion groups or submit a bug report. If you like to receive future announcements regarding to the software release, please subscribe the mailing list.